Monday, December 9, 2013

2013 End of Year Survey

We're coming to the end of 2013, which means it's time for an End of Year Survey!!  The survey comes from Jamie over at the Perpetual Page-Turner.  If you want to participate and/or read her answers, please visit her blog here.

2013 End of Year Book Survey

1. Best Book You Read In 2013? (I had a 3-way tie)

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?

3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013? 
  • The Host by Stephenie Meyer.  I didn't expect to like this book, since it was by Stephenie Meyer, and I'm not a fan of what she did with the Twilight series.  But this ended up being so good.
4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?

5. Best series you discovered in 2013?

6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?

  • Rae Carson or Veronica Roth

7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?

8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?

9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?


11. Most memorable character in 2013? 

  • Wolf from Scarlet by Marissa Meyer
  • Four/Tobias from Divergent by Veronica Roth

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?

  • The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater.  I love Stiefvater's style of writing in this book.  The prose is so beautiful and descriptive.

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013? 

  • Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver.  After reading this book, I've made more of an effort to eat less processed foods, to try to shop more at the local farmers' markets, and to buy certain foods organic.

14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read? 

  • Divergent!  I'm still shocked that I put off this book for so long.

15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?

  • The opening to Splintered by A.G. Howard  -  "I've been collecting bugs since I was ten; it's the only way I can stop their whispers.  Sticking a pin through the gut of an insect shuts it up pretty quick... Crickets, beetles, spiders...bees and butterflies.  I'm not picky.  Once they get chatty; they're fair game."

16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?

  • Longest -  The Host by Stephenie Meyer at 619 pages
  • Shortest -  The Son of Sobek by Rick Riordan at 40 pages (I know it's technically a story, and not a book, but it's the shortest thing I read this year.)
17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
  • The twist at the end of Insurgent by Veronica Roth!  Even though my mom's never read the books, I had to tell her all about it, just so I could tell SOMEONE.

18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).

  • There were just too many great romantic relationships in the books I read this year, but my absolute favorite was Sarah Thane and Tristram Shield from The Talisman Ring by Georgette Heyer.  They're sarcastic and witty, which means they have the best dialogue ever, and they complement each other perfectly.

19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously

  • The Talisman Ring by Georgette Heyer.  I've read so many of her books, but this one was spectacular.  Her books are usually fun and witty , but this book surpassed them all as far as amazing dialogue is concerned.

20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:

21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?

  • It's a toss-up between fantasy and dystopian.

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?

23. Best 2013 debut you read?

24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?

25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?

  • Prodigy by Marie Lu.  The ending of this book just killed me.  I'm scared to read the final book, because I just know it's going to be emotional.

27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?

  • Altered by Jennifer Rush.  Every time I saw the title Altered on someone's blog, I'd get excited because I thought they were talking about Rush's book, but it was always a review or mention of Gennifer Albin's book instead.

Looking Ahead to 2014

1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2013 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2014?

  • The House of Hades by Rick Riordan.  I'm still so ashamed that I haven't gotten to this yet.

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2014 (non-debut)?

  • Again, there are so many, but Cress by Marissa Meyer is probably #1.

3. 2014 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?

4. Series Ending You Are Most Anticipating in 2014?

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2014?

  • Posting more regularly would be nice.  Getting this new feature I've been working on up and running would be great too.
Please feel free to let me know what your answers would be, and if there's any here you agree with!

6 comments:

  1. Hi! It's my first time visiting your blog; I followed the link from Jaime's linky for the survey! I keep hearing such amazing things about Scarlet, and I really MUST read that one soon. I'm hoping to binge read it and Cress back-to-back next year =) Also, you're the second person to recently rave about Prodigy. I read the first one, and loved it, but just haven't found the time to pick up book 2 yet. I just started reading Cruel Beauty and, although I'm only a chapter in, I'm super intrigued already! I love Beauty & the Beast, so when I heard it was a retelling, I was immediately sold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for visiting! I'm always so excited to get new visitors.

      Scarlet was so amazing. I felt it was way better than Cinder, and I loved that book too. I'm hoping Cress will follow that same pattern and be even better than Scarlet. And I hope you get a chance to read Prodigy soon. It's so much more intense than Legend.

      Fairytale retellings are one of my favorite genres, and I can't wait to read Cruel Beauty.

      Delete
  2. Ive heard so many things on Divergent, must read soon! Heard mixed things on The Host

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely read Divergent. After I read it, I couldn't believe how long it had taken me to finally get to it. And I'd heard mixed reviews of The Host as well, which is one of the reasons I was surprised at how much I liked it.

      Thanks for visiting my blog!

      Delete
  3. I love Four, he's a definite fictional crush for me too... except in Allegiant where he went all whiny and Tris-like. I really, really need to get to the Lunar Chronicles series this year, can't believe I still haven't read that.

    Great answers :) My End of Year Survey

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I always appreciate reading what you have to say.