Friday, August 16, 2013

Book Blogger Hop - August 16th


Book Blogger Hop is a weekly meme hosted at Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer.  There's a new prompt each week to encourage bloggers to meet new bloggers, learn about new books, and gain followers for their own blogs.

This week's prompt:  Were you a born bookworm or somebody got you into the habit of reading?

The answer to that is yes and no.  I did enjoy reading when I was young, but I didn't branch out beyond my Little Golden books.  I had my pile of "little kid" books, and I didn't read anything meant for my age unless it was for school.  So I would stay up late at night and constantly re-read these books that were written for kids three or four years younger than me.  I did this until I was in fifth-grade.

My fifth-grade teacher is one of the main people I can credit with turning me into a rabid reader.  When it rained during recess, she would read aloud from books.  I remember the first one she picked was Climb or Die by Edward Myers.  I was on the edge of my seat by the end of every recess, practically begging for it to rain again the next day so I could find out whether or not the Darcy family survives.  I approached her one day during a break and told her how much I loved the story.  So she recommended some books for me to read on my own, including Little Women.  As soon as I got home, I pulled out the book and started reading, and that was it.  I was hooked.

How about you?  Are you a natural-born bookworm?  Or did someone, or some book, turn you into one?

4 comments:

  1. I think it's wonderful that you had a teacher that pointed you toward books! I have my moms old old copy of Little Women, but still haven't read it.
    Here's My Answer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you read it soon and love it. It's one of my all-time favorite books, partially because of its significance to my reading life and partially because it's just a great book.

      Delete
  2. This is another great meme, Ashling! I'm so glad I happened upon your blog during TTT! (which I still need to visit quite a few more blogs from that...hopefully this weekend!) AND I will also return HERE this weekend because I want to add my story about being a reader, too.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You are so sweet. I cannot wait to read more of your TTT and Book Blogger Hop answers. I've also started following you via email. :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! I always appreciate reading what you have to say.