Tuesday, March 9, 2010

PANIC!!

Tomorrow I will be taking the GRE. AAAAAHH! I'm much more nervous about this test than I ever was for the SATs. For the SATs, I was up-to-date on all my math. But now... I haven't used anything beyond basic math in years. I didn't need to. I was a writing major in college, and every job I've had since graduating hasn't used any complex math. Addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. That's it. And now I'll be taking an exam with algebra and geometry. What was I thinking?! I should have signed up for the Millers Analogies Test. There wouldn't have been any math in that.

What I really don't understand is why the GRE is necessary. Shouldn't my bachelor's degree be enough? It would make sense to take it if I'd been out of school for years, but I only graduated in 2007. Also, I'll be attending grad school for writing. Why must they torture me with math?! How will getting a good score in math prove anything about my skill and knowledge of English and grammar? If I were going for a degree in a field of mathematics or science, then it would be absolutely necessary for me to take an exam with a math element. Of course, if I were studying math, I would feel that the verbal section was unnecessary.

Unfortunately for me, the school/English department requires that I take the general GRE, not the subject-based one. So tomorrow, please say lots of prayers and cross your fingers for me. And I will do my best to remember how to breathe and how to solve algebraic equations.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I always appreciate reading what you have to say.