Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Otters & Dragons & Frogs, Oh My!

Title: Dragon's Breath
By: E.D. Baker
Format: Paperback
Pages: 304
Genre: Young Adult/Fantasy
Series #: 2 of 6
Date Started: May 18, 2009
Date Finished: May 18, 2009

Rating: A-

Description (book annotation): Having recovered their human shape, Emeralda and Eadric try to help Aunt Grassina find the special objects needed to break the spell that turned Grassina's true love, Haywood, into an otter.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

There are so many new characters in this book to fall in love with! And so many new places! This is the perfect follow-up to The Frog Princess, and has only made me even more excited for the rest of the series. Emma and Eadric visit the home of Emma's grandmother Olivene, the woman who changed Haywood into an otter, to learn how to break the spell. She unknowingly tells them that they must find four items to help turn Haywood back into a human. During their adventures, they meet dragons, spiders, mermaids, sea monsters, and more. And sneezing has never been more hazardous.

I still love Eadric, although he seems to have become even more of a goofball (which is probably why I love him). And he doesn't seem to be able to stop eating! I do feel like Baker gave him a slightly smaller role in this book, but as he's the main source of comic relief, he's as memorable as ever. But my favorite new character is Ralf. If I could, I would take Ralf home with me and keep him as a pet. And all I have to say about grandmother Olivene is Thank God my grandmothers are nothing like her. I'm amazed that Emma's mother and sister turned out the way they did when you take into consideration what a terrible person Olivene is.

And the ending... well, the part close to the ending nearly made me cry. Look out for that.

The only thing I disliked was the fact that a couple of spots seemed a little choppy, but it didn't ruin the overall effect of the book. It was fast-paced, hilarious, and a really good remedy for the stuck-in-bed-with-a-stomach-virus blues. A-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I always appreciate reading what you have to say.