Friday, January 24, 2014

For When I'm Feeling: Cold

I've decided to start this new feature (not the same as the one I talked about in my resolutions post) after talking to my coworker.  Whenever I'm feeling sad or happy or lonely or whatever, books (or movies) are my go-to places to express or change how I feel.  So I'm going to start this new feature (complete with a lovely banner created by my brother) to share what those books (or movies) are.

COLD.

I don't know about where you live, but when I left the house for work this morning, it was 4 degrees outside.  4!!!  I have never wanted to work from home so badly in all my life.  So what's the perfect solution to a day as cold as this?  A big mug of hot chocolate with whipped cream & marshmallows, lots of comfy throw blankets, a seat in front of the fireplace, and the following books:

  • The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson
    • Besides being an extremely exciting book that gets your heart racing, the book takes place in a hot, desert country.  At one point, Elisa has to travel across the desert, and the descriptions of the heat and the sun are so vivid.  
  • Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede
    • Pretty much anything with dragons could apply.  There's plenty of fire-breathing and arid landscapes.
  • Austenland by Shannon Hale
    • This is a great read for when it's cold, but not because it's about warm places.  It's perfect because it leaves you with a nice warm & fuzzy feeling when it's done.
  • A Thousand Days in Tuscany by Marlena de Blasi
    • Every time I read this, I want to hop on the first plane to Italy.  Part of the book does take place during the winter months, but for the most part, you get to hear about beautiful (warm) countrysides, yummy (warm) food, and the friendly (warm) people.
  • The Swiss Family Robinson by Johann David Wyss
    • Tropical islands are always a dream when you're suffering through snow.  Of course I wouldn't want to be shipwrecked on one like the Robinsons, but I'd love to explore one and see all of the amazing animals.
  • Many Waters by Madeleine L'Engle
    • This book made me so thirsty.  It's a really interesting time-travel take on the story of Noah, and the setting is a hot, dry desert where the sun practically destroys your skin super fast if you're not used to it.
And those are my go-to books when I'm feeling the chill of winter.  I hope you enjoy this new feature, and I'd love to hear which books you read to warm up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I always appreciate reading what you have to say.