Thursday, September 12, 2013

Upcoming Books-to-Screen Adaptations

This past Top Ten Tuesday was all about what books we'd like to see made into movies or TV shows, and it got me thinking about all of the screen adaptations that are already in progress or just released.  The big craze right now seems to be making YA books into movies, and while in some ways I love this, in other ways I'm dreading it.  There's no denying that Hollywood doesn't always get it right when it comes to adapting books.  Things get left or cut out, storylines are completely changed, or terrible actors are hired to play our favorite characters.  But sometimes they do actually get it right, which is why I'm always on pins and needles when I hear about the next book-to-screen adaptation.

This year and next are going to see a lot of adaptations, both in the movies and on TV.  And I thought I'd share some of them, and let you know which ones I'm psyched about and which ones have me biting my nails with nervousness.

The I-Cannot-Wait-to-See-These Movies


  • Ender's Game
    • Based on Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
    • Release Date:  November 1st (USA)
  • The Book Thief
    • Based on The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
    • Release Date:  November 15th (USA)
  • The Maze Runner
    • Based on The Maze Runner by James Dashner
    • Release Date:  2014
  • The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
    • Based on Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
    • Release Date:  November 22nd (USA)

The I'm-Really-Not-Sure-About-These Movies

  • Austenland
    • Based on Austenland by Shannon Hale
    • Release Date:  August 30th, 2013
    • Why I'm nervous:  Because I watched the trailer, and I'm just not sure if the movie's really going to stay true to the book.  I love Keri Russell and JJ Feild, and I know Shannon Hale was one of the screenwriters, but I'm still really nervous that it's going to be over-the-top cheesy.
  • Divergent
    • Based on Divergent by Veronica Roth
    • Release Date:  March 20, 2014 (?)
    • Why I'm nervous:  One reason I'm nervous is because I'm scared of what parts of the story will be cut or changed for time's sake.  And the other reason is that I don't love the casting for the movie.  Everyone's in love with Theo James, but even though I think he's great-looking, I just think he looks too old to play Four.  And I don't think Shailene Woodley's that good of an actress, at all.
  • The Fault in Our Stars
    • Based on The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
    • Release Date:  2014
    • Why I'm nervous:  Because I LOVE this book and I will be SO upset if they screw it up.  And once again, I'm not a fan of Shailene Woodley, but I did hear from a friend that John Green felt the same way.  Then he saw her audition and changed his mind, so maybe I'll be surprised.

2 comments:

  1. I'm also unsure if I want to see Austenland while it's in theaters. It seems like they may have changed alot. It always amazes me how many adaptations are coming out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually just heard from a publicist that she saw Austenland, and it was terrible. So I think I'm going to wait until it's on Netflix to watch it.

      There's a website with a list of over 60 book-to-screen adaptations in progress. I think Hollywood's just grabbing up whatever ideas and stories they can find.

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! I always appreciate reading what you have to say.