Monday, August 5, 2013

Story Review: The Son of Sobek by Rick Riordan

Title:  The Son of Sobek
Author:  Rick Riordan
Genre:  YA mythology retelling/short story
Publisher:  Disney-Hyperion
Format:  E-book
Acquired via:  Purchased through iBooks


Rating:   


Synopsis from goodreads.com:  In this audio e-book short story narrated by Rick Riordan, Carter Kane is investigating rumored sightings of a monster on Long Island when he runs into something else: a mysterious boy named Percy Jackson. And their meeting isn't exactly friendly. . . . Includes a sneak peek chapter from HOUSE OF HADES, Book Four in the Heroes of Olympus series.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I was waiting for this crossover to happen, and then it finally did, and now I am SO happy.  Even though I dislike ebooks, I caved and purchased The Son of Sobek, because the only print version is in the back of the paperback issue of The Serpent's Shadow.  Since I already own the hardcover, I wasn't buying the paperback just to get the short story.

The story was a quick, fun read for fans of the series.  Carter Kane and Percy Jackson end up meeting each other when they both set out to take care of the monster.  It was great to see the two series' lead characters interacting and fighting (with each other and with the monster).  It was told from Carter's perspective (which I'm hoping means that the next installment will be told from Percy's), and there's plenty of humor, sarcasm, and action.

I'm really looking forward to the next part to the story, although I have no idea when that will come out, as Riordan's got a lot on his plate right now (see below).  But whenever it finally is written, I will be reading it immediately.  (Sorry for the shortness of the review, but short stories = short reviews.)



Semi-related note:  Rick Riordan just posted some updates in his blog that I am so excited for.  The fourth book of the Heroes of Olympus series, The House of Hades, is coming out in October.  The final book will be released in the fall of 2014.  But what I'm most excited for?

In 2015, Riordan will be starting a new series centered around Norse mythology.  YAY!  Norse mythology rarely gets any attention, so it's always cool to find a book or series about it.  And it's going to be written by Riordan, one of my favorite authors.  With this new series, he will have covered Greek, Roman, Egyptian, and Norse mythology.  He's pretty much the king of middle-grade/YA mythology retellings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I always appreciate reading what you have to say.