Sunday, July 21, 2013

15-Day Book Blogger Challenge - Day 13

It's day 13 of April's Book Blogger Challenge, which means... only 2 days left!  I can't believe it's almost over, because I've been having so much fun with this challenge.  For more info, visit April's blog Good Books and Good Wine.


Day 13 - Underappreciated Books

Ok, so today's challenge is really difficult.  "Describe one underappreciated book EVERYONE should read."  Only one???  I can think of so many books that people should read that aren't getting a lot of attention.  But I'll be good and only tell you about one of them.

Why you should read I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith

  • Goodreads description:  I Capture the Castle tells the story of seventeen-year-old Cassandra and her family, who live in not-so-genteel poverty in a ramshackle old English castle. Here she strives, over six turbulent months, to hone her writing skills. She fills three notebooks with sharply funny yet poignant entries. Her journals candidly chronicle the great changes that take place within the castle's walls, and her own first descent into love. By the time she pens her final entry, she has "captured the castle"--and the heart of the reader--in one of literature's most enchanting entertainments.
  • Opening sentence:  I write this sitting in the sink.
  • The story:  This book is a beautifully written, bittersweet coming-of-age story.  I guess it's also a romance, but what I took from it was the narrator's growth from child to woman.  I really connected with Cassandra (the narrator).  She's a great complex character, and it's interesting and refreshing to "watch" her change, to see her shift from this pure romantic idealist to a realist who's still secretly holding on to and hoping for some of those ideals.
  • The writing:  I love the way this book is written.  The story is told in journal form, as Cassandra chronicles everything happening around her.  As the book continues and Cassandra grows up, the writing becomes more mature and more beautiful.  And not only is the writing awesome, but it's so quotable too.  My favorite line is the opening sentence, but there are so many more.
  • Personal reason:  I also have a great connection with this book, because it's one of the main books that made me realize I wanted to write.  I read this shortly before deciding on a college, and it helped me choose my major.  I just knew that I wanted to write a book like this someday.
So what about you?  Have you read I Capture the Castle?  Did you like/dislike it?  What is an underappreciated book you think everyone should read?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I always appreciate reading what you have to say.