Sunday, June 2, 2013

Book Review: Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Title:  Insurgent
Author:  Veronica Roth
Series:  Divergent #2
Genre:  YA dystopian
Pages:  525

Rating:  A+

Synopsis from goodreads.com:  One choice can transform you, or destroy you. Every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves, and herself, while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

OMG!  I just finished this ten minutes ago and loved it!  I just had to write my review immediately (even though I have other reviews and posts I should be doing).

Insurgent is the second book of the Divergent trilogy, and it is a really awesome middle book.  Tris and Four are still one of my favorite book couples, despite the tension in their relationship.  I feel like both of them have even more character development in this book.  They have so much more depth in their emotions and personalities.  Of course their relationship goes through some stress and strain, but what relationship doesn't?  The secondary characters didn't get as much attention as they did in the first book, but I think that was because this book had so much more action and a faster pace.

I definitely enjoyed the fast pace of this book.  There wasn't ever a time to take a breath.  I was just on the edge the whole time, needing to see what happened on the next page.  Which is really good for a trilogy's middle book.  So often that second book is just kind of... blah.  But I did not feel that way at all this time.  The story was so exciting and action-driven.

Besides having great characters and a lot of action, Insurgent is full of unexpected twists that I never saw coming.  Sometimes books will have one or two big twists to throw off the readers, but this book had quite a few more, and every time one would come up, it would just suck me into the story more.  And the ending was the biggest twist of all.  As soon as I finished the book, I literally ran out of the room to find someone to tell how much that ending threw me.

Insurgent is a great book, and I'm so mad that the copy I read is a library book because that means I have to return it.  I'm now anxiously waiting for October, when the final book, Allegiant, is released.  A+

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I always appreciate reading what you have to say.