Monday, June 17, 2013

Blogger Confessions - Binging

Before I actually start this post for real, I just wanted to point out that this is the first post I've ever done with GIFs.  So I'm hoping they all work, and that I don't step on anyone's toes copyright-wise.

Blogger Confessions

I love to binge-watch my favorite TV shows.  It's pretty much how I spent the past three days.  No reading or blogging or writing was accomplished.  Just vegging out in front of my... actually, not my TV because it's currently blocked by my pile of BEA books (a post on that to come).  I actually did my binge-watching on my iPod this weekend.  And what did I watch?  Warehouse 13!



I really do love, love, LOVE to read, but sometimes, I confess, I need a couple of days to just breathe and be a couch potato.  Especially right now, when I'm feeling very, VERY overwhelmed by the number of books I got at BEA.  Usually when I go to the library or order books from Amazon, I get a few at a time (think 3 or 4).  But I came home with 50 (I think) books, and I have no idea where to start.

So how do I cope?  Binge-watching a TV show that I know I love.  The Big Bang Theory, Warehouse 13, Psych, Murder She Wrote, Pushing Daisies, Castle... wow, I watch a lot of crime shows... when I don't feel like reading, I grab my iPod or DVDs and spend hours glued to the screen (usually without too many interruptions).



But it's not just TV shows that I like to binge on; it's books too.  When I'm not sure what to read next, I pull out all of my Georgette Heyer regency romances and binge-read the whole collection.  I'm such a sucker for those books.  They've got witty dialogue, awesome heroines, funny situations.  And of course, most important of all... swoon-worthy heroes.



And it's not just Heyer's books that I'll binge-read.  It's also my old children's books, the Percy Jackson series, anything involving dragons in some way.  If I've read it and adored it, it's fair game when I'm looking to binge.  And so all of my new books or ARCs that are in need of reading and reviewing, my blog, my writing - all of it goes out the window when I'm in this kind of mood (like this past weekend), and I fall way behind.

So that's my confession - I binge.  On books, TV shows, movies.  Even when I have an ever-expanding TBR pile, or reviews to write, I will push it all aside to re-read and/or re-watch all my old favorites.

What about you?  Do go on book or TV binges like me?  Do you have specific shows that you'll watch over and over?  Or are you the opposite?  Do you dislike re-watching or re-reading when you have lots of new things to distract you?

2 comments:

  1. I'm guilty of this too, although not usually with television. Sometimes I get really overwhelmed and I'll re-read a favorite series or spend a week doing stupid Facebook games like Cityville...or play a couple days of DOTA or LOL.

    I'm currently trying to refrain from playing video games right now, because they make me way less productive, but eventually there will be another game coming out and it will steal my attention for a few months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand the Facebook games too. I used to play Farmville all the the time, but now I love Candy Crush. I'll be reading a book, and after a chapter, I'll put it down to see if my lives have refreshed in Candy Crush.

      When I finished Warehouse 13, I thought I'd be over my binging, but now I've moved on to another Syfy show, Eureka. It's just such a good show. So the cycle has started all over again.

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! I always appreciate reading what you have to say.