Thursday, February 7, 2013

Book Review: Prodigy by Marie Lu

Title:  Prodigy
Author:  Marie Lu
Series:  Legend #2
Genre:  YA dystopian
Pages:  384

Rating:  A

Synopsis from goodreads.com:  June and Day arrive in Vegas just as the unthinkable happens: the Elector Primo dies, and his son Anden takes his place. With the Republic edging closer to chaos, the two join a group of Patriot rebels eager to help Day rescue his brother and offer passage to the Colonies. They have only one request—June and Day must assassinate the new Elector.

It’s their chance to change the nation, to give voice to a people silenced for too long.  But as June realizes this Elector is nothing like his father, she’s haunted by the choice ahead. What if Anden is a new beginning? What if revolution must be more than loss and vengeance, anger and blood—what if the Patriots are wrong
?


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Why are these authors doing this to me?  First, it was Aimee Carter's Goddess Interrupted, and now it's Prodigy by Marie Lu.  These authors are killing me with their cliffhangers!

I didn't love this book as much as the first, but I still loved it.  I think the biggest reason I didn't love it quite as much as Legend was because of Tess and Day.  Tess's character in the first book is great; she's sweet and innocent, and you can see how much Day cares about her.  Now that's she's a little older and has been separated from Day for a while, she's grown a little bitter, especially about June.  I just don't like her at all in this book.

Besides that one complaint, I really enjoyed Prodigy.  The plot had plenty of action and some unexpected twists that I didn't see coming.  And of course, I love that the story switches narration between June and Day, each with their own font.  Like the last book, Day's writing matches the cover so this time it's blue, instead of yellow.  And it was really exciting to see more of Lu's dystopian America.  This story took place outside of Los Angeles, so you get to see how other parts of the country have changed.

Honestly, I thought a lot of the material in this book was the kind of stuff you'd find in the final book of a series, not the second.  I'm really intrigued to see where Lu is going to go with the final book, Champion.  Based on the ending, I know a big part of it is going to be about Day & June's relationship.

And about that ending?  Unbelievable.  I don't want to wait a whole year for Champion.  I need to know what's going to happen between Day and June now.  A

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I always appreciate reading what you have to say.