Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Book Review: Goddess Interrupted by Aimee Carter

Title:  Goddess Interrupted
Author:  Aimee Carter
Series:  Goddess Test #2
Genre:  YA mythology retelling
Pages:  304

Rating:  A-

Synopsis from goodreads.com:  Kate Winters has won immortality. But if she wants a life with Henry in the Underworld, she'll have to fight for it. Becoming immortal wasn't supposed to be the easy part. Though Kate is about to be crowned Queen of the Underworld, she's as isolated as ever. And despite her growing love for Henry, ruler of the Underworld, he's becoming ever more distant and secretive. Then, in the midst of Kate's coronation, Henry is abducted by the only being powerful enough to kill him: the King of the Titans.

As the other gods prepare for a war that could end them all, it is up to Kate to save Henry from the depths of Tartarus. But in order to navigate the endless caverns of the Underworld, Kate must enlist the help of the one person who is the greatest threat to her future.

Henry's first wife, Persephone.


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

GAH!!  That cliffhanger!!  How could you do this to me, Aimee Carter?!  Even if I'd hated the book (which I didn't), I would have to pick up the third one to see what happens next.  Thank goodness, The Goddess Inheritance comes out this month, so I don't have to wait too much longer.

So much drama!  Let it be known that all of the crazy relationship tension in this book could have been avoided if A) Henry & Kate actually talked to each other in the beginning or B) Henry actually opened up about his feelings or C) the two of them hadn't been so dense.  Obviously this crazy relationship drama had to happen, or the book would have been cut in half, but sometimes this couple frustrated me, especially Kate.  Seriously, Kate, stop comparing yourself to Persephone and stop expecting Henry to just forget her in the blink of an eye.  But Kate can't take all the blame.  Henry is equally to blame at times; he cannot expect Kate to read his mind to figure out how he's feeling, and while he obviously needs time to let go of Persephone, he also shouldn't be putting her first when Kate's in the same room.

That being said, I still really loved the book.  The plot, while not action-packed, is still fast-paced.  I never lost interest or felt like the story was dragging.  During the book, Kate travels through the Underworld with Ava and James, and it was really interesting to see how Carter handled the setting.

Calliope is back as the villain, but this time she has a much more powerful ally - the titan Cronus, who's been imprisoned in the Underworld and is thirsty for revenge.  They made great antagonists; I mean, you could feel the hate coming out of Calliope.  The other smaller characters didn't have as much time to shine in this book; the main characters were still Kate, Ava, Henry, and James.  And I have to say, the more I read about James, the more I dislike him.  They did introduce Persephone, and I was definitely not a fan of her.  She wasn't terrible, but overall, I couldn't wait for her to go back to her perfect little afterlife with Adonis.  I think my favorite new character is Ingrid, the first girl who attempted the goddess test.  She's sweet, smart, and practical; she gives Kate great advice too (if only she'd listen).

But the most awesome part of Goddess Interrupted was that cliffhanger!  I cannot believe the book ended that way, and it is driving me nuts that I have to wait to read the final book.  A-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I always appreciate reading what you have to say.