Saturday, January 5, 2013

Book Review: Persephone by Kaitlin Bevis

Title:  Persephone
Author:  Kaitlin Bevis
Series:  Daughters of Zeus #1
Genre:  Mythology retelling
Pages:  237 (ebook)

Rating:  A

Synopsis (from goodreads.com):  There are worse things than death, worse people too...  The “talk” was bad enough, but how many teens get told that they’re a goddess? When her mom tells her, Persephone is sure her mother has lost her mind. It isn’t until Boreas, the god of winter, tries to abduct her that she realizes her mother was telling the truth. Hades rescues her, and in order to safely bring Persephone to the Underworld he marks her as his bride. But Boreas will stop at nothing to get Persephone. Despite her growing feelings for Hades, Persephone wants to return to the living realm. Persephone must find a way to defeat Boreas and reclaim her life.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I cannot say this enough, but I hate ebooks!  I know there are some pros to them, but they're just not for me.  I love the feel of actual pages, and I can't stand the glare of a screen when I'm reading.  Unfortunately, this book was only available as an ebook, so I had no choice but to give in and purchase my first ebook ever.  And as much as I loved this book, the only reason it didn't get an A+ was because of its ebook format.

Just had to rant about that for a second.  Now on to the actual book review.  I love retellings of myth and fairy tales, and the story of Hades & Persephone is one of my favorites.  Persephone by Kaitlin Bevis was an incredible retelling, with my favorite version of Hades ever.  He's charming, kind, handsome, and sometimes forceful, with just a bit of a smirking "bad boy" air.  His relationship with Persephone gave me chills.  Persephone herself was an interesting character, constantly switching between annoying teenager and powerful goddess.  But I guess I couldn't blame her for how she reacted sometimes.  I don't know how I would've handled learning I was a goddess.

The story focuses mostly on the development of the relationship between Persephone and Hades, but there's also the problem of Persephone being a target for kidnapping.  The adventures she has while learning about her powers and how to protect herself are exciting, and the final climax is captivating.  And of course, the book had to end on a cliffhanger, so I just had to buy the next book immediately afterwards, despite my distaste for its online format.  I'm so excited to see what Bevis has in store for Persephone and Hades (especially Hades) in the sequel.  A

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I always appreciate reading what you have to say.