Monday, January 7, 2013

Book Review: Daughter of the Earth and Sky by Kaitlin Bevis

Title:  Daughter of the Earth and Sky
Author:  Kaitlin Bevis
Series:  Daughters of Zeus #2
Genre:  Mythology retelling
Format:  ebook

Rating:  A+

Synopsis (from goodreads.com):  Some vows can never be broken.  Persephone thought she could go back to her normal life after returning from the Underworld. She was wrong. The goddess Aphrodite is born among the waves with more charm than she can control. Zeus is stalking Persephone and her loved ones, and Thanatos is no longer content with Persephone’s silence. He wants her soul.

Persephone can’t tell anyone about Thanatos’ betrayal, and it drives a wedge between her and Hades. Her mother is still keeping secrets, and Melissa’s jealousy of Aphrodite threatens to tear their friendship apart. Alone, Persephone turns to a human boy for comfort. But will their relationship put him in danger? Sacrifices must be made, and Persephone must choose between her human life and her responsibilities as a goddess. If she doesn’t, she could lose them both.
But will either life be worth choosing once Zeus is through with her?


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

OMG!  OMG!  OMG!  I cannot believe I have to wait til May for the next book!  Usually the second book in a series is a placeholder, a stepping stone to get from the beginning to the end.  But Daughter of the Earth & Sky is amazing, and it completely stands on its own.

Persephone faces even bigger problems in this book because while some of her issues are being caused by other people, a lot of what she's facing is internal.  She's dealing with the weight of keeping a huge secret from the man she loves, and with the distance this is putting between them.  She's also becoming more and more isolated from the people around her.  It's amazing that she doesn't crack.  And Hades is just as smoldering and intense as ever.  I really wish he'd played a bigger role because he's incredible.  I also missed Cassandra; she's so funny and spunky.  But since most of the story takes place outside of the Underworld, her role in this book is tiny.  The addition of Aphrodite was a bit annoying, but I guess that's probably what Aphrodite would be like - spoiled, entitled, slutty.

Besides the character and relationship development, the story also contains a lot more action than the previous book.  There never seemed to be a moment when anything dragged.  I started the book just after dinner and finished it within a couple of hours because I just didn't want to put it down.  I'd get distracted by someone for a minute, and then immediately turn back to the book.  I even forgot my hatred of ebooks because I was so wrapped up in the story.

And that ending!  So twisted and unexpected!  It was so intense that when I got to the end I actually yelled "No!" out loud, because I didn't want it to be over.  What an insane cliffhanger!  Even if the rest of the book had been terrible (which it definitely wasn't), I'd still want to read the next book because of that crazy cliffhanger.  I cannot wait for May so I can read The Iron Queen.  I hope it's as amazing as the first two.  A+

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I always appreciate reading what you have to say.