Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday #4

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke & Bookish.  This week's topic is New To Me Authors I Read in 2012.

Top Ten New to Me Authors of 2012
  1.  Suzanne Collins  -  I can't believe I didn't read the Hunger Games until this year.  Collins' writing is so good, and it definitely got me into more dystopian literature.
  2. Ally Condie  -  After finishing the Hunger Games, I was looking for another dystopian love triangle, and Matched came up as a recommendation.  I loved it, and I can't wait to see what happens in the next two books.
  3. Kiera Cass  -  Dystopian books, especially those with love triangles, seem to be one of my new favorites.  I loved Cass's The Selection, and America is such an amazing main character.
  4. Caragh M. O'Brien  -  O'Brien's Birthmarked might be my favorite dystopian novel, after the Hunger Games of course.  O'Brien made her characters and settings so gritty and real, and she really loves to throw in some great, unexpected plot twists.
  5. Marissa Meyer  -  I love fairy tale adaptations so incredibly much, and Meyer's adaptation of Cinderella, with its dystopian and steampunk elements, was amazing.  I'm super excited for the next book, Scarlet.
  6. Philip K. Dick  -  So this guy may be the weirdest new-to-me author of 2012.  His books, while genuinely interesting, are also just... weird.  I enjoyed his short stories - Minority Report, The Adjustment Team, Paycheck - much more.
  7. Juliet Marillier  -  (added 12/14)  I completely forgot that I just read one of Marillier's books for the first time this month.  My office has a "lending library", meaning you can bring books you don't want anymore and leave them next to the copy machine for other people to borrow or just take.  Someone left a brand new copy of Shadowfell, and I loved it!
Sadly, I can't think of any more authors who were new to me this year.  Most of what I read was by authors I've read in previous years.

3 comments:

  1. I hadn't read The Hunger Games until this year as well! Better late than never, I guess. I had to read Do Androids Dream of Electric of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick for a class. I believe it is the novel that Blade Runner is based off of. Definitely some weird stuff but really interesting all around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All those, if I haven't read them already (so cross off Hunger Games (all three) and Matched...), are on my TBR list. :)

    My Top Ten

    Brandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have Suzanne as well, others are still on my TBR pile, mostly for 2013 :)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I always appreciate reading what you have to say.