Thursday, August 12, 2010

Title:  Going Postal
Format:  My brother had it on his computer
Category:  Miniseries/Fantasy/Book adaptation
Rating:  A

Description (from imdb.com):  Based on Terry Pratchett's 33rd Discworld novel, this TV adaptation involves a skillful con artist Moist Von Lipwig who finds the tables turned, and it's he himself who's conned into becoming the Ankh-Morpork Postmaster General. A position that has not been filled in years.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

When my brother told me they were making another Terry Pratchett book into a miniseries, I was really excited.  I loved the first two movie adaptations they made-- The Hogfather and The Color of Magic.  So it's really no surprise that I loved this one too.  

The story was fun and exciting and definitely original.  Who else would think to have golems and thieves and pin collectors run a post office?  I think what I love the most about the Pratchett adaptations is that they have adventure, comedy, suspense, drama all rolled into one, without ever feeling forced or drawn out.  And Going Postal's even better, because now it's thrown a really cute romance into the mix.

The miniseries' portrayal of the Discworld and its people is really cool too.  I would definitely visit, if it actually existed.  What makes it so cool is that it's very similar to any American or British town during the Industrial Revolution-- the buildings, the clothing, the technology.  But it has fantastical twists added to it that just make it so interesting and different.  Nowhere else would you find the Unseen University or a place called Ankh-Morpork.

The actors were great too.  I could not believe that the villain was played by David Suchet.  I've only ever seen him as Hercule Poirot, the Belgian detective.  And he's nothing like Poirot in this.  If my brother hadn't told me ahead of time, it probably would've taken me a long time to recognize him.  My favorite characters were definitely Von Lipwig and Stanley.  Stanley is just endearing, and Von Lipwig won me over a lot faster than his love interest.

If you like Pratchett's books or his book adaptations, or if you just like a really good miniseries or fantasy, I would absolutely recommend this miniseries, as well as The Hogfather and The Color of MagicA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I always appreciate reading what you have to say.